ORGANIZATION AND HISTORY
This Housing Authority was organized under the laws of the state of the State of South Carolina August 27, 1941. The area of its operations is in the eighteen counties in the Northwest section of South Carolina in towns of less than 5000 population. It was originally conceived as an organization to take care of rural or agricultural housing, and such a program was planned, but all action on this was deferred during the Second World War. No further work or planning was done until after Congress passed the Housing Act of 1949. This Authority was then revived on September 20, 1950, and applications were made for small low-rent housing projects to serve the needs of some of the smaller towns in this area.
Under the law, each of the eighteen counties has a Commissioner on the Board and there is one Commissioner–At-Large. These men act as a Board of Directors to govern the policies and procedures and handle the business of this Authority. These Commissioners are public spirited and civic minded persons who have been appointed by the Senators of the various counties. The office of the Regional Housing Authority is located in Laurens, which is the exact geographical center of the area, and is within easy driving distance of all of the towns in this area. The paid employees are under the control and supervision of the Board of Commissioners and all of them are natives of the area in which they are working.